The Institute has relations with line ministries and agencies, research institutions, universities, and provincial and municipal departments of planning and investment in the following areas:
- Collaborating in the research in and formulation of socio-economic development strategies and plans;
- Providing guidance on methods of socio-economic development strategy and plan research and formulation;
- Conducting –exchange of information and providing professional capacity improvement and staff training in strategy and plan research and formulation.
The Institute has cooperative relations with agencies and research institutes from many countries and international organisations:
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) that has been financing the Project “Supporting for Formulation of Socio-economic Development Strategy 2011-2020”, United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), and United Nations Center for Regional Development (UNCRD).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB): Research in energy planning, development strategy for the Central region of Vietnam; Study on Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction in the Central Region and the Central Highlands of Vietnam.
- The World Bank (WB): Study on Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction in the Northern Mountains and Midlands, the Red River Delta and the Mekong River Delta.
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA): Research in the master plans for four Central provinces of Vietnam, and the Hoa Lac – Xuan Mai New Town Development.
- Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA): Capacity building in planning for and management of marine and coastal areas, research in some macro-economic projects, etc.
- Harvard Institute for International Development (HIID), USA: Research in macro-economic issues of Vietnam.
- Korea Development Institute (KDI): Capacity building in strategy research, mid- and long-term policy development and economic forecasting, cooperation under the framework of the previous 2004-2005 and current 2009-2012 Knowledge Sharing Programmes for Vietnam.
- Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA): research in many areas of socio-economic development and sharing Korean experience in socio-economic development strategy and plan formulation under the framework of the Project “Sharing Development Experience with Vietnam” during the period 2010-2011.
- La Délégation a l’Amenagement du Territorie et à l’Action Regionale (DATAR), France: Research in regional development planning.
- International Development Research Center (IDRC), Canada: Research in regional development management in Vietnam.
- NIPPON Foundation and Japan Research Institute (JRI): Capacity building in economic forecasting for Vietnam.
- Stockholm School of Economics (SSE), Sweden: Research in macro-economics, investment and rural development.
- Thammasat University, Thailand: Study on human resource development and staff training.
- Sasakawa Peace Foundation (SPF), Japan: Market economy study, staff training and creation of a linkage between Vietnam and ASEAN forecasting models.
- Hanns Seidel Foundation, Germany: Research in economic reform.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF): Study on environmental issues.
- Association pour le Développement des Échanges en Technologie Économique et Financière (ADETEF) (Association for the Development of Exchanges in Economic and Financial Technology, France): Vietnamese – French Economic and Financial Forum for dialogues and exchanges between Vietnam and France.
- Ministry of Planning and Investment of the People’s Democratic Republic of Laos: Formulation of the Vietnam – Laos Cooperation Strategy, and socio-economic development master plans for Laos PDR and Kham Muon and Vientiane provinces and Vientiane City.
- Other foreign academic institutions.